Thursday, July 1, 2010

Confessions of a bad mom - Woodlands Baby Photographer

Yesterday, as I drove home from work, I was sad. I looked into my rear view mirror at something I swore I would never see in my own car (an 18 month old watching a video). And then I started thinking about the life I live today. It has a lot of things in it that I thought would never happen. Actually I told myself, "When and if I ever have kids, I will never do ..." The list was long. I have included some here, as I'm hoping I'm not the only bad mom out there. The blog has been quiet lately and I'm needing some moral support.


I think that all of those hopes and dreams, while pregnant are fantastic. And please, keep dreaming them! I'm sure that there are some fantastic moms out there that can pull some, if not all of these things off. It just wasn't in the cards for me. Maybe on the next baby. :)

So here is my list of confessions for being a bad mom. This is for all of you that have asked me how I do it all...
I swore I would never... Then I ....
I would never have an epidural That was the best thing ever invented. LOVED it, I would have married it and had it's babies!
I would never speed with by baby in the car When the baby is screaming, that means speed up to get to the next stop sign so I can feed him or reach the pacifier!
I would never try to multitask and hand things to my baby while driving, it is dangerous.
It is very dangerous, that is why I have everything very organized and well placed around me and him in the car for close access and finding by "feel".
I would never have my child sleep on his stomach Caden has slept on him tummy every night since he was 3 days old
I would never let my child go into a store without pants on Caden has done it several times
I would never let my child eat fast food Caden does it at least twice a week
I would never let me child run around naked Caden loves it! LOVES it! Could this be a bad sign?
I would never buy a car, just for the DVD player. Yes, I did. And yes, I use it every morning and afternoon on the way to and from work. I feel dirty even writing that. But he only watches Little Einstein, does that make it better?
I would never put my child to bed just because I was tired. Ha! Do they ever get tired? Mama needs a break to, sorry Caden.
I would never put work before my child, especially since it took so long to finally get him. Well, I'm really working on work/life balance. And I actually do a pretty good job at this. Life does come first, but a lot of times this means I'm up until midnight. And Caden get's to be a model, which he isn't thrilled about, but he does enjoy the tutus. :)

So even though Caden might only see the back of my head for hours at a time in the car, or think that the computer is attached to my arms, I hope that he ultimately doesn't think I'm a bad mom. As mom's we can all find our own ways of telling our children that we love them. It might be a special song, special time spent just with them or making their favorite food. But my favorite is just spending some time with him just "being". Not really doing much of anything. He knows that I'm there and that is all that matters.

So today, whether a good or bad mom, go spend some quality time with your kids!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are more of a perfectionist than me!

    I don't think I had many of those "rules" when I was pregnant. I found that I started to make more after Paul was born and I was reading mom blogs. I do hold the line at portable dvd and iphone games though ;-) I try to shield him from licensed characters. I want him to use his imagination instead of someone else creating for him. I want him to love books, not TV. That being said, I realize I need to relax!

    About going to the store with no pants, that's gonna be the new trend when all the babies are wearing their Cynthia Rowley Pampers!!

    A good rule to keep is don't fight with your spouse in front of the kids. If you do, be nice and fair and kiss and make up in front of the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Being a mom is hard work - I struggle with my own rules all the time.

    ReplyDelete